I love butternut squash. Its such a versatile vegetable, great in curries and stews and as I’ve already mentioned, soup! In this healthy dinner, the squash is pretty much the star of the dish. This is great as a warming winter dish and is really simple. You can eat it all on its own, with a baked potato or with some mashed potato and veg if you are really hungry!
Chicken and Butternut Squash Bake
Serves 4, 6 pp per serving
- 1 Butternut squash (about 1kg in weight)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 250ml chicken stock
- 300g chicken thigh meat, sliced
- 125g light mozzarella sliced or grated
- Salt and pepper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Peel the butternut squash, scoop out the seeds and slice thinly.
- Spray an oven dish with frylight or rub with a small amount of oil.
- Place a layer of butternut squash into the dish, top with a layer of sliced onion.
- Top this with the sliced chicken, followed by onion and finally butternut squash.
- Once everything is layered, pour over the chicken stock, season well with salt and pepper.
- Cover with tinfoil and pop into the oven for 40 mins.
- After 40 mins, remove from the oven and top with the mozzarella.
- Return to the oven and cook for 10 more minutes.