Chorizo is an ingredient that Ive recently become more passionate about. I remember on family holidays in Spain as a child, finding its strong smokey flavor a little overpowering. Although I have enjoyed it in my adult life, I never used it much for anything other than just eating. Recently I read a recipe from Nigella Lawson which described a chorizo, chicken and bean stew and this got me thinking! With its distinctive flavor there are really endless possibilities to using chorizo in dishes.
This is one of the recipes I have come up with so far. There are a number of advantages to this dish. Its immeasurably healthy, something I usually strive to achieve. I used various different combinations of vegetables in this, which allows you to be flexible with it. Its quick to prepare, although it does need about an hour in the oven to cook the vegetables. It also seems to improve over the course of a day or two, as the chorizo infuses into the sauce. Its also a really good one to take as a packed lunch as its great hot or cold! Its also a really handy dinner to prepare on a boat as its mainly one pot and its warm and hearty! I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do, there will certainly be more chorizo recipes on the way!
Serves 8 Estimated PP 7-8 depending on serving size
- 75g Chorizo chopped into small chunks
- 2 medium carrots
- One red onion
- One red pepper, sliced
- One Leek, sliced
- 250g Chickpeas
- 250g Cannelini beans
- Tomato Passata/Tinned tomato
- Sprinkle of sweetener
- Half pint chicken stock
- 6 chicken breasts (I find this plenty for 8 people as there is plenty of food!)
- Slice onions finely.
- Heat a large casserole and spray with fry-light. Fry onions until soft and then toss in the Chorizo. Stir in other vegetables and soften for a minute or two.
- In a seperate pan, fry the chicken breasts in fry-light and slice into chunks. Stir into vegetables
- Stir in tomato passata, chicken stock and the sweetener.
- Bring to the boil and then transfer to a preheated oven at 150oC
- Cook for approx. 1 hour to ensure all the vegetables are heated through.
- This is delicious served with crusty bread and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. I also serve it with buttery new potatoes and side salad! Enjoy!