Now that the seasons are changing and the wind is picking up, light and fresh foods are making way for warmth and comfort. The clean salads of summer are shifting to heartier dishes. One challenge I always find this time of year is remaining healthy while still enjoying comfort foods.
The bounty of foods coming from the fall harvest is something to celebrate too and I don’t want to miss out on all that is on offer. Ive already spoken about the pumpkin penchant in New England but apples are another firm fall favorite! Apple picking, apple cider (Thats hot apple juice to us Irish!) and warm apple cider doughnuts, its a ubiquitous feature around these parts at the moment. I couldn’t resist including apples in this salad to bring some sweetness and some crunch.
Is there much to improve about sweet potato?! Full of nutritional goodness, versatile and super tasty, it is one of may favorite things to eat in the colder weather. Add some kale, pecans and dried cranberries and you have a winning combination. This salad can be eaten hot or cold. Add some rice or quinoa to make it a larger meal. The salad has become a firm favorite for a healthy lunch. It really is as easy as childs play and if you have some roasted sweet potato in the fridge, it can be whipped up in a couple of minutes.
- 100g roasted sweet potato chunks
- 50g kale, finely chopped
- 1/2 an eating apple – any of the wonderful varieties you like!
- 10g pecans
- 10g dried cranberries
For the dressing:
- 30ml olive oil
- 15ml balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- pinch of salt and pepper.
- To roast sweet potato, peel and cut into chunks. Toss in a little olive oil, salt and pepper and bake at 180C for 15-20 mins, until the pieces are soft.
- Meanwhile, shred the kale very finely into thin strips.
- Mix the dressing well. I like to put all the ingredients into a jam jar and shake it all up. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Finally, assemble the salad. Mix the sweet potato with the kale, toss in the apple, pecans and cranberries. Drizzle with dressing and toss well, making sure everything is evenly incorporated.
- Serve and enjoy!