Finally, I have a day off and no more Christmas shopping to do. I can finally relax and realise that Christmas is on the way. The Christmas tree is up, I have managed to wrap everything, what could be more festive now than home-made mince pies. For me, the best mince pies are crumbly, not too sweeet and full of a rich boozy flavour. These little ones are not too offensive to the waistline, bringing a little guilt free festiveness. I have used homemade mincemeat in my pies, that I made back in September. To be honest though, some supermarket versions are fabulous and takes the effort out of mince pie making. Marks and spencer do lovely versions. Hope you are all having a nice Christmas season thus far!
Serves 24, pp 4 per pie
- 225g cold cubed butter
- 350g Plain Flour
- 50g Brown Sugar
- 220g Mincemeat
- 1 egg beaten
- Icing Sugar
- In a food processor, whizz butter and flour until it just comes together. If required, add a small amount of extra butter but no liquid. (If you dont have a food processor, rub the butter and flour together.)
- Put the pastry in the fridge for at least an hour to firm it up.
- Roll the pastry out to about 1cm thickness. Cut out circles big enough to line your cupcake tin. You will need 24 larger circles and 24 smaller for the lids.
- Spoon mincemeat into each case, about a teaspoon per case.
- Top with the lids, pressing gently together as you place them on.
- Using the beaten egg, brush each pie to glaze it.
- Bake at 200 degrees c for approx 20 minutes. When cool, dust with icing sugar.
- Serve warm with cream and a glass of something festive!
A very happy Christmas to all of you and a healthy, happy new year!