This salad is one of my favourite lunches at the moment. It is full of the best of New England produce and is like summer in a bowl. It makes a great weekend lunch to eat outside or as a side dish at a BBQ. The important thing here is to use ripe juicy peaches and to grill them slowly, grilling them too quickly will make them stick to the grill. Grilling them brings out even more sweetness and the peppery rocket balances this really well.
Grilled Peach, Goat Cheese and Blueberry Salad:
For the Salad:
- 2-3 ripe and juicy peaches, cut in half or into slices
- 4 big handfuls of rocket(arugula) or other greens – I’ve used watercress a few times
- 100g blueberries
- 50g almonds in their skins
- 60g soft goat cheese
For the Dressing:
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper
- Heat a grill pan slowly. Preheat and oven to 200C/400F
- Brush the peaches with olive oil. If you have cut into slices, toss well in oil.
- Place the peaches on the pan and grill slowly for approx 5 mins a side, until each have grill marks on them.
- Place the almonds onto an oven pan and toast in the oven for 5-8 minutes. These can burn easily.
- Meanwhile, clean the greens and the blueberries and dry
- Prepare the dressing: Mix the oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper, last and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- When all the components are ready, assemble the salad.
- Toss the rocket in some of the dressing.
- Place a small piece of goat cheese on each plate, top with the rocket then scatter peaches evenly around the plate. Place almonds and blueberries around each plate and then dot with the remaining goat cheese.
- Drizzle each plate with the remaining dressing and serve.