I am a busy busy lady at the minute so im sorry about the more sporadic posts but trying to get as many up as possible. Today’s one is a great one I promise! Dauphinoise potato is one of those dishes that defines simply great French cuisine in the eyes of the world. Its garlicky and gooey and creamy and delicious. And maybe not the healthiest. I cant resist it occasionally. It is surprisingly easy to make this one healthier. It goes so well with roast dinners, pork chops, steaks, basically anything you could thing of. Please try this one!
Healthy Potato Dauphinoise:
- 500g potato
- 60g Mature cheddar, grated
- 300ml milk
- 5-6 garlic gloves, whole peeled
- Grating of nutmeg
- 75g half fat creme fraiche
- Slice the potatoes thinly. You can peel them if you wish or leave the skin on, it depends on what you prefer (and how lazy you are feeling!) Meanwhile preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Place the potato slices in a saucepan with the milk, garlic cloves and nutmeg. Pop on a medium heat and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the potato slices are soft but not falling apart. I like to test them regularly.
- Once the slices are soft, retain some of the milk (Say an eggcup full, you dont need much.) Drain the potato. Discard the garlic cloves – it will have already flavoured the slices.
- Butter an oven dish with a small amount of butter or grease it with oil. Lay half of the slices onto the oven dish so they are evenly spaced. Spread half of the creme fraiche over these and put the milk that you reserved over this.
- Repeat with the remaining potatoes and top with creme fraiche. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of this.
- Bake in the oven for approx 20 minutes until the cheese on top is golden and bubbly and serve. Yum!