Hello everybody, huge apologies about my sporadic posts of late. I am back and back on my healthy eating path! Here is my number one recommendation for breakfast on a lazy Saturday or Sunday morning. So we all know that I love Corks Liberty Grill and my favourite meal there by far is their Eggs Benedict. It’s pure breakfast perfection.
There are only 2 problems with it, 1) it’s in Cork, and 2) I would hate to imagine how many calories are in that hollandaise! So what else could I do but create my own version. This one does not have hollandaise sauce but imitates the taste using similar ingredients. I think its a good substitute! As with anything when it comes to healthy eating, portion control is important so Ive halved it here but if you are mighty hungry, you could have a double portion! Let me know what you think!
Healthy Eggs “Benedict”:
Serves 2, 6pp per serving:
- 2 fresh eggs
- 1 english muffin or 2 slices toast
- 2 slices Parma ham
- 100g Low fat philadelphia
- Tablespoon half fat creme fraiche
- Half teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- Half teaspoon dijon mustard
- Tablespoon of milk
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Drop yellow food colouring (optional)
- Make the sauce first. Put the milk, creme fraiche, soft cheese and mustards in a saucepan and stir until warmed through. Stir in food colouring (if using), lemon juice and season well. Keep warm.
- Fry the parma ham in a dry pan until it is crispy and set aside.
- Pop the muffins or bread in to toast.
- Meanwhile, poach the eggs for 4 minutes maximum. I find a drop of vinegar in a shallow pan of water helps with poaching.
- To assemble, place a slice of ham on each half of muffin. Place an egg on top of each and then divide the sauce amongst the plates.
- Enjoy with a fresh pot of coffee!