There is nothing better on a cold winters night than snuggling up with a big bowl of creamy cheesy pasta. Unfortunately that doesn’t usually equate with healthy eating. My Macaroni Cheese is full of veggies, full of flavour and full of comfort! I make it at least once a week and always take the leftovers for lunch the next day!
The key to this yummy dish is using mature cheese to ensure the maximum cheesy flavour without all the fat. What is more comforting than a big bowl of gooey macaroni cheese with the added sweetness of roasted peppers and the smokey taste of bacon.
Leek and Bacon Macaroni Cheese
Serves 4, 9pp per serving
- 4 bacon slices, finely chopped
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 2 peppers, 1 red 1 yellow, cut in half and de-seeded
- 25g Plain flour
- 25g low fat spread
- 450ml skimmed milk
- 240g dried pasta
- 75g low fat grated cheese
- 2 teaspoons english mustard or wholegrain mustard
- Spray peppers with oil and roast for approx 30 mins, until soft. Once cool, chop into chunks.
- Fry leek in low fat spray until softened.
- Fry chopped bacon until cooked.
- Boil pasta but do not overcook.
- Melt spread in a pan and stir in flour. Once combined, slowly whisk in milk. Bring to the boil until thickened. Stir in mustard and season well.
- Stir in most of the cheese until melted.
- Combine all the ingredients and layer into a oven dish. Bake at 180 degrees for 15 mins.
- Finally top with remaining cheese and brown for further 15 mins.
- Serve with a side salad….yummy.