Ok I have to admit, I may have a slight addiction to homewares! My favorite place in the world at the moment is the kitchen-wares section of TK Maxx. Its a veritable treasure trove of goodies! I took a wander in there yesterday to search for a little hand blender/ chopper/ whisk as my one has died a sad little death (who knew how much longer hand whisking would take!). No such luck in finding a new one but my oh my did they have exciting things. I had to settle myself as I could have gotten a little carried away! I decided I would allow myself one purchase! But was it a good one!
I love Le Crueset products. Growing up, our fab cast iron casserole was never off the hob at home, filled with stews, currys and soups on a regular basis! They truly are lifetime investments. I am currently lusting after the casserole below!
So when I stumbled upon a old fashioned deep Le Crueset Pie dish in TK Maxx, I could not turn away!
Key lime Pie is one of my regular desserts. Its quick, tasty and quite impressive. I love it in the summertime as it has that lovely freshness about it. I needed a dessert for a party I was headed to on saturday and so my new pie dish came to the rescue! Here it is!
Key Lime Pie
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 397g tins of condensed milk
- freshly squeezed juice and grated zest of 5 limes
- 450ml whipped cream
- 500g digestive biscuits
- 200g unsalted butter, melted
- Roughly break up the digestive biscuits and put them in a food processor. Process until finely ground. Put the crumbs in a large mixing bowl, and pour the melted butter in, and stir.
- Press the mixture into the base and neatly up the side of the prepared pie dish, using a tablespoon to flatten and compress.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until deep golden and firm. Set aside to cool completely.
- Turn the oven down to 150 degrees.
- Put the egg yolks, condensed milk and lime juice in a mixing bowl, and mix with a whisk until everything’s smooth. It will start to thicken as you mix it!
- Pour into the cold pie crust and bake in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes. Take it out when it’s firm to the touch, and not at all wobbly. Leave to cool completely, and put in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Top with Whipped cream and enjoy! Yummy!