At the moment, I am on holiday in France, sailing along the Brittany coast with family and friends. The weather is fabulous, the company equally so and the food mainly indulgent. Cooking on a boat is a unique challenge, especially when the boat is at sea. A friend of ours came up with the following dish when he had limited ingredients and many hungry mouths to feed and named it after his boat! He usually cooks it with lashings of cream but I have tweaked and lightened it a little so make it a little healthier. It is tasty served with green beans, asparagus or even just a side salad. Ive also included some pictures of the stunning Breton coast. Enjoy folks!
Serves 4, Estimated WW ProPoints: 10 per serving
- Approx 800g potatoes, sliced thinly
- 400g Smoked Salmon
- 2 large leeks, sliced thinly
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed and finely sliced
- 1 pint skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- Salt and Pepper
- Spray a frying pan with low fat spray and soften the leeks.
- Place a layer of leeks in the bottom of the oven dish.
- On top of this place a thin layer of potato and season well. Top with a layer of smoked salmon.
- In each layer, sprinkle some chopped garlic.
- Continue layering until you have used all potato, salmon and leeks, ensuring the top layer is potato.
- To make the sauce, melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour to make a roux and gradually whisk in the milk.
- Thicken this slightly but not too thick as the potato will need to cook in the sauce.
- Pour this mixture over your oven dish, ensuring there is enough liquid to cover the potatoes. Add more milk if necessary. Cover with tin foil.
- Place in the oven at 180 degrees C for approx. 45 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
A Bientot….until next time,