I love paprika, it can brighten up a dish with just a small sprinkle of the vibrant red powder! Smoked paprika is my favourite, it brings a wonderful flavour that can transport me to Spanish holidays! This is such a simple dinner, Ive adjusted it from a Hairy Dieters recipe and it went down a treat with my other half.
Paprika Chicken Stew:
Serves 2, 6pp per serving
- Low fat cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped.
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tspn smoked paprika (I used 1 tspn because I love the flavour)
- 200g chopped tomatos or passata
- 200ml good chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large yellow pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 1 tspn mixed herbs
- 1 tspn cornflour
- 1 tspn water
- Heat a deep frying pan or casserole dish and spray with cooking spray.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook for approx 10 mins until softened.
- Meanwhile trim each of the chicken thighs of remaining fat and cut each one in half.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 3 or 4 mins a side so they are lightly browned.
- Stir in the garlic and paprika, making sure chicken is coated in paprika.
- Stir in the tomatoes and stock. Add the herbs, bring to the boil and cover the pan. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 mins, add the peppers and celery to the pan and recover. Cook for approx 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft and chicken tender.
- In a cup, mix the cornflour and water to make a paste. Add this to the pan and cook for a final 3 or 4 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve with rice or potatoes and some vegetables. Enjoy!