When I was younger, my dad and I used to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. It was usually with him mixing a big pot of curry and me hanging on every word, trying to learn! When I went home at Christmas, it was so lovely to get a chance to cook with my dad again. We work well in the kitchen, mainly because I think we both just adore food! It got me thinking about the kid of things we used to cook together. So today I give you my favourite of those dinners. They brought me right back to being a kid, cooking these and sitting down at the table all together after a long day! It may sound crazy but believe me, its good! This recipe is with thanks to my dad!
with seasame stir-fried rice.
Serves 4, 10pp per serving
- 500g Extra lean minced beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped. (I took out the seeds but its up to you!)
- 2 Tablespoons medium curry powder, its a personal taste thing but I like a lot
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon flour
For the rice:
- 160g white rice
- 1 tspn turmeric
- 2 peppers, red and yellow, sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tspn sesame oil
- To make the meatballs, place mince, chillies, onions, curry powder and egg in a bowl.
- Mix well using your hands. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape into meatball shapes, I did 5 small meatballs per person.
- Roll the meatballs in a small amount of flour to hold them together.
- Place them in a baking dish. Bake for approx 30 mins at 180 degrees celsius.
- Meanwhile boil the rice and place the turmeric in the water. This will colour the rice and also give it a slightly curried flavour.
- Stir fy the onions and peppers until soft in spray oil.
- When the rice is cooked, stir that into the vegetables and stir in the sesame oil to give flavour.
- Serve the meatballs on top of the rice with a dash of soy sauce! Its Yum!