This is exactly the kind of thing I like to eat on a sunny summer day. Its hearty and filling yet fresh and healthy. Nicoise is one of those recipes that has so many interpretations, its hard to identify the original. So Ive decided to just go with the way I like it to taste. Salty with anchovies, sweet and sharp with balsamic vinegar (I know this is probably a cardinal sin!) and lots of salad material to munch on! The lettuces I use have lots of bite to them but feel free to vary them to your taste. Yum!
Salade Nicoise – My way!
Serves 1, 5pp per serving
- 1 little gem lettuce
- Handful of rocket
- Half a head of cos lettuce
- 5 black olives, halved
- Small handful of green beans, quickly blanched
- 1 egg, boiled (just hard), cut into quarters.
- 4-5 anchovy fillets, Ill admit I use tinned ones!
- 1 56g tin good quality tuna – Ortiz is the best
- 8 thin slices of cucumber
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- This is more of an assembly job than a recipe. Make sure the lettuce is all properly washed and dry to prevent the salad being soggy. Cut or tear the lettuce to bite size pieces into a salad bowl.
- The green beans should be blanched but still have some bite to them. Add these into the lettuce mix.
- Toss in cucumber and olives and toss salad well. Add balsamic vinegar and toss again.
- Decant into a serving bowl. Top with flaked tuna. On top of this place the egg quarters and the anchovy fillets. Drizzle with another splash of vinegar and season with salt and pepper.