Scallops are one of my favourite foods and for me are the ultimate fast food. Granted they are not cheap, but I had the fortune last Saturday of stumbling into the fish shop as they were about to close and scoring some scallops at a greatly reduced price! Fabulous. The next question for me was what to do with these amazing creatures. Something simple yet special was needed. Nigella came to my resuce with this little number. Chorizo and scallops may sound like a strange pairing but it worked fabulously. I love courgette and anything lemony (though my other half would not share my lemon enthusiasm!) so this quick and tasty side dish worked well with the heady paprika flavours of Chorizo. You could serve the scallops with some spaghetti drizzled in a little olive oil with some chilli flakes but we had plenty with just this. Please try this one, it really is so easy!
Scallops with Chorizo and Lemon Courgettes:
Serves 2, 4 pp per serving
- 200g scallops – Your choice whether you like the roe or would prefer white meat only.
- 60g chorizo sausage, sliced
- 2 courgettes, sliced
- 1 lemon
- 5g butter
- tspn of oilve oil
- good handful of freshly chopped parsley
- Prepare the scallops. Slice through each scallop so that you have a thinish piece of meat, I got three slices out of each of my scallops but you may only get two. Make sure to wash these well.
- Preheat a frying pan and add the oil and butter.
- Place the courgette slices in the pan and fry until slightly browned on crispy.
- Turn over the courgette slices and colour on the other side. While this is all happening, get your scallop dish ready to go.
- In preheated frying pan, fry the chorizo until it is crispy on both sides and has released lots of its lovely oil.
- Remove the chorizo and set aside, ensuring the oil stays in the pan.
- Place the scallops in the pan and fry gently for about 2 minutes a side. Ensure they are totally coated in the yummy paprika flavoured oil. Squeeze in some lemon juice and top with freshly chopped parsley.
- Just before you are ready to serve, squeeze the other half of the lemon onto the courgettes and plate it all up together. YUM!