As the evenings are drawing in, I find Im craving comfort food more and more! Tonight I had bacon and cabbage for dinner, how much more comfort can you get. Sometimes however, there is nothing like pasta to make you feel warm inside. Add bubbling tomato sauce, meatballs, gooey mozzerella and garlic bread and you have comfort food heaven. It might surprise you to learn that this feast is actually healthy! The key to this is firstly to use lean minced beef for the meatballs and secondly to control the pasta portions. Believe me you wont feel like your going without!!
Meatball Pasta Bake
Serves 4, 10 pp per serving
- 400g beef mince, lean
- Large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, 2 minced, 1 whole.
- 175g penne pasta
- fresh basil leaves
- 125g light mozzarella
- 2 Packets of tomato passata
- salt and pepper
- Place mince, onion and one garlic clove in a food processor and whizz to mince together.
- Form this mixture into little meatballs….I tend to get 20 small ones so its 5 per person
- Heat a frying pan and fry the meatballs on all sides. Place into oven dish.
- Cook pasta until al dente and add to oven dish.
- To make the tomato sauce, stir minced garlic and sugar into passata, season well.
- Stir into pasta and meatballs, slice mozzarella and top the pasta dish, I like to tear some fresh basil over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbling