This is one of my new favourite recipes, Angel food cupcakes! They are light, fluffy and a lovely treat without the calories! I didnt put any frosting on most of these these as I wanted them nice and light. Instead I topped them with a berry coulis and some light whipped cream for a lovely dessert. There is absolutely no fat in the cakes at all so perfect little treat for those watching their waistline! I did frost a few with a very small amount of pink vanilla frosting to keep them light. The frosting only adds 1pp per cupcake, I’ve popped the recipe below. Just a little note, my beautiful fruit bowl you see behind the cakes was given to me by one of my best friends at Christmas and Its one of my favourite things in my kitchen! I use it for pasta, salads and all sorts but at the minute its sitting pretty on my kitchen table!
Angel Food Cupcakes
Serves 18, 2pp per cupcake or 2 for 3pp
- 65g Icing Sugar
- 100g Self Raising flour
- 110g Caster Sugar
- 8 Egg whites
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 70ml water
- Place all dry ingredients except the caster sugar into a bowl and stir together.
- In a separate, clean bowl, place the egg whites, cream of tartar, water and vanilla. Whisk until foamy, then slowly, gradually add the caster sugar. Whisk continually until you have soft peaks.
- Sift in half the dry ingredients then gently fold into the egg mixture. Repeat with the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Spoon into 18 cupcake cases, bake in the oven at 165 degrees celsius for approx 18 to 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool, the apply frosting if using!
- 40g butter, softened
- 125g icing sugar
- few drops vanilla extract
- 25ml milk
- few drops food colouring of your choice
- In a large bowl, whisk butter and icing sugar until you have a smooth paste.
- Gradually blend in milk, vanilla and colouring into the paste.
- Continue to whisk until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Top the cakes with a small amount of frosting, there should be just enough for a thin layer on 18 cakes!