I like bananas, I really do. They are the perfect snack or breakfast food. In a previous job, my boss ate a banana every day at 10am, which we collectively named nana time! However, I have a major problem with them. I don’t like them enough to eat every day and so I often end up with a lot of brown bananas, begging to be used up. There is only one solution to this problem…..banana bread!
This one has a few steps in it but it is worth the effort. Really ripe bananas are the key to this, ones that couldn’t possibly be consumed for lunch! I like to make mini loaves that are really handy for busy days or lunch boxes
Makes 16-20 servings
- 190g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda/ bicarb of soda/ bread soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp melted butter, cooled slightly.
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 very ripe bananas, mashed (Slice the other half into thin slices that you can use to decorate the top of the loaf)
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche or greek yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 160C. Butter a loaf tin (or I used 4 small ones)
- In a stand mixer, set eggs and sugar to whisk for approx 5 mins, until light and fluffy.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, sift in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and set aside.
- Whisk together the banana, vanilla and creme fraiche in another bowl.
- When the eggs are fully mixed and fluffy, drizzle in the butter with the mixer running slowly and follow with the oil.
- Fold in the banana mixture. Fold in the flour mix gently until it is all incorporated.
- Add the mixture to the loaf tin, Decorate with a few slices of banana if you like and place in the preheated oven.
- If using a large tin, bake for 60 mins and test with a skewer. If the skewer comes out sticky, return to the oven – it can take up to 75 mins.
- When using small tins, bake for 45 mins and then test. Mine took about 55.
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy – if you are feeling really indulgent, toast and slice and top with butter! I love this spread with a little honey!