I have yet to meet anyone who doesn’t like Mexican food. I mean, what is not to like! Spicy sauces, lots of cheese and gorgeous flatbreads! The problem is, finding authentic Mexican can be really tricky in Ireland and the UK. I love to try an recreate Mexican food at home.
This is probably Mr Healthy Slice’s favourite breakfast! He requests it a least once a week. Ive been cooking it for a few years now, its easy and minimal effort, perfect for groggy morning heads. There is a little prep involved but the tomato sauce can always be made in advance and stored in the fridge.
It is also very healthy and filling, two things that I prioritise in a breakfast recipe. You can either make little individual pots or one whole pot, depending on the mood you are in and the number you are serving. The best thing is that it can be easily multiplied up to cater for more. This recipe serves 4.
Mexican Baked Eggs
- 4 eggs
- 1 onion
- Large red pepper
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- sprinkling of sugar
- 1 tin of tomato
- Lots of crusty bread, tortillas or flatbreads
- Chop the onion and red pepper.
- Heat a deep frying pan and saute the onion and pepper until softened.
- Add the tomato, paprika and sweetener. Heat thoroughly
- At this point you can crack the eggs into the frying pan or make individual portions. In this case, spoon the tomato sauce into 4 large ramekins. Top with one egg per pot. Place under a hot grill for approx. 5 minutes, until the white is cooked but the yolk is still soft.
- If using one pan, make a well before cracking in each egg. Pop a lid on the pan and cook for approx 5 minutes. You can literally plonk the pan on the table and people can help themselves.
- Serve with the crusty bread and sprinkle with a little cheese. Yum!