Wahay, January is over and we all survived, maybe even a few pounds lighter. So now let spoil ourselves a little! It is one of life’s holy grails is it not? The perfect brownie. For me that means a dense and seriously fudgy centre, with a crisp bite to the outside. Not cakey and dry and powdery! I dont think there is anything more disappointing than a bad brownie.
So that leads me to this post. Ok so these can in no way be deemed healthy eating, but I believe a healthy diet involves a treat now and then. I also cut these into lots of small pieces (36) rather than big ones but that is totally up to you! I have spent a lot of time playing around with different recipes and have brought the best parts of these together to my my favourite type of brownie. Be warned, these are dangerous and one is never quite enough. Maybe you could treat a loved one with these on the 14th?!
Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
Serves 36 (or less depending on the size you cut.), 5pp per piece when you have 36.
- 500g caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 100g good quality cocoa powder
- 125g plain flour
- 250g butter – needs to be full fat
- 50g chocolate chips
- This is so easy I am ashamed! Firstly melt the butter over a gentle heat or in the microwave. allow to cool slightly
- Beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer or hand mixer.
- Slowly beat in the melted butter.
- Fold in the flour and cocoa powder until well combined then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into a pan. I use a lined swissroll pan but you can use a deeper square cake tin or even 2 of these, depening on the thickness of brownie you like.
- Pop in the oven at 180 degrees celsius. They do need watching, cooking time varies with the type of pan you use. I find with a swiss roll tin that it takes between 25 and 30 minutes on average. If you pop a skewer into the centre of the pan and it comes out almost clean but still slightly gooey, this is when I like them to come out.
- Cut them into slices, they are yummy eaten warm with some vanilla ice cream!