Sometimes, you just need some warm, stodgy comfort food! The weather here is starting to change so tonight is one of those nights! Toad in the Hole it is, with vegetables. This is an easy one but lovely and tasty, especially slathered in gravy! One of the best things about this is that its very cost effective. Most people have milk, eggs and flour at home anyway, the most you would need to invest in is a pack of sausages. Plus it makes for great leftovers which I take for lunch the next day.
Toad in the Hole
Serves 4, 8pp per serving
- 8 Low Fat Sausages
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100g plain flour
- 300ml skimmed milk
- 1 small onion, sliced
- Slice the onion and line the bottom of an oven dish with them. Spray or drizzle with oil.
- Space out the sausages evenly.
- Place in the oven at 180 degrees for approx 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg milk and flour together and season well. I like to stir in some herbs such as sage or thyme to the batter.
- Once 15 mins is up, add the batter to the sausages and bake for approx 20 – 40 mins.
- Serve with veg and gravy. I sometimes even do mash with it.