Pancakes are usually pretty naughty breakfast food. If you get them in a restaurant, they tend to be made with lots of butter etc! Not exactly healthy eating. But actually, these are easy to slim down! Whisked egg whites add the fluffiness to these cakes, without making them heavy ! I love these, they may be one of my favourite breakfasts for a weekend. You can serve these with fruit, maple syrup, bacon or a combination of all three!
Healthy American Pancakes
Serves 4, 4 pp per serving
- 2 eggs, separated
- 75ml skimmed milk
- 80g plain flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sweetener
- low fat cooking spray
- In a bowl, whisk together egg yolks and milk.
- Stir in the flour and sweetener.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until you have soft peaks. I use a stand mixer for this.
- Take a spoonful of the egg white mixture and stir it into the flour mixture. Add the rest of the egg white and fold it gently in until well combined.
- Spray a frying pan with cooking spray and spoon 3-4 blobs of the mixture onto the pan and spread around a little.
- Cook for 2 minute over a medium heat and then turn. cook for one minute more until browned.
- Repeat using all the mixture, I usually get about 3-4 pancakes per person out if the mix, depending on the size or pancake.
- Serve drizzled with a teaspoon of maple syrup and maybe some bacon! Yum!