Weekend breakfast are special. While most of us dont have time during the week to rustle up a substantial slow hot breakfast, the weekend are made for just that….taking time out! I love cooked breakfast, particularly healthy ones! Its true I often eat this recipe as brunch these days, but why not!
Healthy Breakfast Hash:
Serves 2, 4pp per serving
- 100g potato, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 a pepper, sliced
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- handful of spinach
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- 2 eggs
- 75g back bacon or bacon medallions, cut into pieces
- 1 tspn paprika
- salt and pepper
- Put the onion, potato, bacon and pepper into a bowl. Add the oil, season with paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Heat a saute pan and add the potato mixture to the pan. Put a lid on it and allow to saute and soften for ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Make sure all the bacon pieces cook.
- Meanwhile bring a small pan of water to the boil. This will be used to poach the eggs.
- After 10 mins, add the spinach and mushrooms to the potato mix. The potatoes should be soft now and almost ready to eat. the spinach will wilt and the mushrooms steam. Once the spinach has wilted, set aside the pan with the lid on to keep it warm
- Poach the eggs. I like mine runny so that the yolk oozes into the vegetables. Its important to use good free range eggs for flavour here.
- Spoon the vegetable hash mixture between two plates, tasting beforehand to ensure seasoning is correct.
- Top the vegetables with the poached egg and serve. It is nice with a bit of brown toast on the side!